Monday 27 August 2018

Middle, middle earth, middle age!!.


Yes, it is the little dog I showed the other day but I had to go back and make some changes I could see little things that were not right. As I did this I was thinking how nice it would be to be able to just jump back and sort out all the mistakes made in the past. Now in the fag end years of life, I am aware of some things I could have handled much better in the foolishness of youth.

Sadly it is not possible and if I have learned anything in this stage of my life I have learned not to dwell on such things but to get on with living and go with the flow.

I was jokingly saying something similar to a friend just the other day. he pointed out that I was much younger than he and I need to stop and think about not being old. "You are just in your middle age." 

I smiled and thought that he did have a point we are all living much longer and what was once old age is now middle age. 

So what is middle age? That difficult period between adolescence and retirement when you have to take care of yourself. But I have retired already so that definition cannot be true.

So let me try again. A definition from some of my recent musings on this topic.

 Middle age is when everything starts to click, your elbows, knees and neck and most frightening of all for me my fingers.

It is when you realie that you'll nver live long enough to try all the recipes you spent all those years clipping out of newspapers and magazines. All the photographs taken and kept in the hope that one day I will paint them.

This one just came to me as I write, it is not only later than you think, it's sooner than you suspect .

It is when you're faced with two temptations and you choose the one that gets you home by nine o'clock. Nine  that is almost a late night for me. You may think I am just being silly but I kid you not I used to meet up with friends of a week night. I found it harder and harder to be there at the time they thought was early.

For me it is looking at a mountain and remebering running up and down much higher and still hearing myself say, "I might walk up there tomorrow." 

One of the other thoughts that came to mind. When I was a minister I had a CB radio and my handle ( the call name I used) was sky pilot. I had a bad reputation as the flying minister because I drove far too fast. 

So middle age is when you're warned to slow down by a doctor rather than a policeman

I asked a friend if I was in old age or middle age. The answer I got was that I was a senior, what a cop out.

So a last little thought I am not sure which age I am in but I certainly know more about Middle Earth than i do about Middle Age.

Whatever age you are in I remind you of my greatest wisdom . Fear not and go with the flow.

Have a great day. 







No comments:

Post a Comment