Friday 31 August 2018

Being a minister brought precious moments.


Three sages walk on the wild side.

I was speaking with some friends and having a little walk down memory lane of my days as a minister, thinking of some of those events of life that bring a smile to the face. Some of the simple little requests that came from parishioners that took little turns that add to twists and turns of life.

Like the time when I got my first ever caravan and when a wonderful old gentleman I knew died and the family wanted me to do something special for them.

Now, these two things might not seem related but they turned out to be. The family had liked some of the memories I had found out about this dear older man and used at the service of cremation. They now had his ashes and thought it would be nice if I conducted a little ceremony at the spot where he played on a rope swing as a boy. I thought this was a lovely idea but not knowing where this was I asked two of his friends to accompany me to show me the place. 

Eventually, after tramping over fields and tracks we got to the spot.  I unscrewed the lid from the little wooden casket. His friends removed their caps and bowed as I said a few words of thanksgiving for his life. With as much dignity as possible, I scattered the ashes. I had not considered the wind and his two friends ended up brushing their friend from their suits. We knew that old John would have laughed at this and so we did also and headed home with some nice thoughts.

Now, what has this to do with the caravan? Well, the casket that the ashes were in matched the woodwork of my caravan to perfection and was just the exact size for me to use to hold the radio I had purchased to put in the van but had not worked out how. Every time I turned that radio on I remembered old John and smiled and said a thank you for his life.

Some other things that still bring a smile to my face are some of the things said to me or my friend by parishioners on the way out of church after the service and sermon. I will not tell you to whom what was said but here are a few choice words.

"You always manage to find something to fill up the time." 

"I don't care what others say, I like your sermons." 

"If I'd known you were going to be good today I'd have brought a neighbour." 

"Did you know there are 243 panes of glass in the windows?" 

"We shouldn't make you preach so often." 

It makes me smile even now all those years later. 

A  member of my congregation sent in the following for the church magazine

"Simply send a copy of this letter to six other churches who are tired of their ministers. Then bundle up your minister and send him to the church at the top of the list. Add your name to the bottom of the list. In one week you will receive 16,436 ministers, and one of them should fit the bill as a replacement. 

Have faith in this letter. One man broke the chain and got his old minister back."

I really hope it was said in the spirit I took it.

Lastly, I remember when I preached my very last sermon before leaving the ministry to take up teaching. At the end of the service many of the members of the church took a few minutes to stand up and make a little farewell speech. Having listened carefully to each one I felt moved and emotional.

I could not help myself when in return I said a few words to them. "I am deeply moved with all those kind words and thoughts in fact had you said them to me before I had decided to leave I might have stayed."

Have a great day and go on have a smile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment