Tuesday 14 August 2018

A time to ponder and give respect.


A time to ponder and respect.

I mentioned a few days ago that my son got into trouble at school for refusing to rifle. This, of course, was not really his fault it was almost certainly mine. We were chatting about this just the other day and I wondered if after all those years I could paint such a picture.

My difficulty with such art is that for as long as I can remember I have never been able to face the thought of killing another human being. I even found the concept of an enemy a difficult thing to get my mind to consider. I have heard and participated in all the usual arguments against being a pacifist and I can understand them, but it has just never been possible for me to be anything other. In my whole life, I have only once hit another human being and I can still see it now as if it was only yesterday, and it still arouses in me some sad thinking.

So could I paint something to do with battles and war? Above is my attempt. Painting this has brought me further along the road of understanding. I am so very grateful that there were those who took up arms to keep the freedom cherished in my land. How do I depict this I asked myself. 

Before I say anymore let me tell two very short tales about respect. 

Once in a small village, there lived a blind man. He lived on his own and depended on touch and hearing. He was blind and yet when he went out in the dark he carried before him a lamp. The lamp cast its light before him.

One night as he walked with his lamp he was harassed by a group of young people. They mocked his carrying of the lamp because they knew he was blind and could not see. The man waited patiently saying nothing until they had stopped. he then said, "Yes, unfortunately, I can see nothing at all unlike you. But others may in the dark not see me and bump into me because I could not see them to get aside for them I may bump into them and hurt them so I carry my lamp.

The young people felt embarrassed, there was somebody with many problems but still had respect and caring for others.

We should be slow to judgement but quick to respect the lives of others. 

Another little tale. There once lived a very cruel king. All the people of his kingdom were in fear of him. When his pet dog died the whole of the kingdom turned out for the funeral of the animal. The king was very pleased to see this thinking if they did this for his dog they would do the same for him. When he died there was not a single person arrived at his funeral.

Respect is something that has to be earned you cannot force people to respect you. There is a very thin line between fear and respect. 

So back to my painting. I looked at many pictures of many battlefields looking for an example of a soldier, just one soldier.  I found A picture of a whole group of men and in the midst stood one with his head bowed low. 

I thought that there was a man aware of the gravity of war. I could paint this soldier in a way that he was showing his respect for others. He was taking a moment to ponder in the midst of horror. 

I made a start full of many emotions wanting to do justice to this man. I could not for the life of me paint the rifle in his hand or the bayonet or grenade. I have made my sincere attempt at this depiction and in the eyes of some may fall far short.

But it is my mark of respect for those who did what I doubt I could have. Here is my thoughtful pondered art from a pacifist to a soldier. I hope I have given him my full respect and honour. I am sure it does not meet the challenge in full but it made me indeed, "Ponder and give respect."

Have a good day.






No comments:

Post a Comment