Tuesday 7 August 2018

Of little value.



A Treasured and Valued Friend.

I have often heard it said of political parties that they seem to know the cost of everything but the value of nothing. Sadly on most occasions, I have felt that I agreed with the statement.

Now and again I find myself watching a programme where members of the public bring along something to be valued and then taken to auction to be sold. Now and again I have watched something being valued that shocked me that the owner would ever put the item to the auction, especially when told the amount that it is valued at. I find myself shouting at the television expressing my ire at the owners for even considering putting the item up for sale.

Here is a picture of such an item that I have seen on this show on more than once.


It is a death medal containing the name of the person who was killed in battle. Around the outer edge it says, He died for freedom and honour. This particular medal had the name David Dalgeish marked on it. This was one of my family and this medal was treasured by my old aunt the sister of David. Before she died and the age of 103 she gave me this and some other items that she valued greatly. She gave them to me because she believed that  I would cherish it and give it a place of honour in my home. I do just that it sits in sight of my desk and I see it every day. I never knew David but I do know both the worth and the value of this medal. it is not worth much in monetary term but it is one of the most valued items I have.

It seems that what we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly, "'Tis dearness only that gives everything its value. " But the price paid for this medal is beyond measure. 

A young girl was talking to her grandad about the up and coming birthday of the girl's father. The old grandfather asked her if she was going to make a birthday card on the computer? The girl instantly replied, "No if I make one I will draw it myself. Ones made on the computer do not get left on the refrigerator as long as the handmade ones."  Here was a young girl learning the value of things. 

There is a beautiful and true account of a meeting of two pianists. 

At age 16 Andor Foldes was already a skilled pianist, but he was experiencing a troubled year. In the midst of the young Hungarian's personal struggles, one of the most renowned pianists of the day came to Budapest. Emil von Sauer was famous not only for his abilities; he was also the last surviving pupil of the great Franz Liszt. 

Von Sauer requested that Foldes play for him. Foldes obliged with some of the most difficult works of Bach, Beethoven, and Schumann. 

When he finished, von Sauer walked over to him and kissed him on the forehead. 

"My son," he said, "when I was your age I became a student of Liszt. He kissed me on the forehead after my first lesson, saying, 'Take good care of this kiss--it comes from Beethoven, who gave it to me after hearing me play.

I have waited for years to pass on this sacred heritage, but now I feel you deserve it."

I am sure this action held more value than any words that might have been spoken or any gift or fee handed over. That kiss would stay in the heart of  Andor Foldes for the rest of his life. We do not know if he in life passed this gesture and token on but I have a deep feeling that he did. 

We live in an age of fast turn around. goods are no longer built to last. Sadly this also spills over to many other things. How I would love to still have the ability to teach those around me about the things in life that do matter, not for their worth but for their value. 

Have a great day and maybe look again at some of the treasures of your life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment