Sunday 26 March 2017

How do you spend your day?


The Clock Tower Dunfermline.

I often find myself looking at certain places or buildings that bring back memories of old. The clock tower in the high street of Dunfermline is one such building. 

The trouble is that more and more things bring back memories a sure sign that we are all getting older. Even those of you who are still at that age when you can think and act like you still have an eternity to live.

Yesterday I was asked if I had managed to achieve all the things I had wanted to in my life. Without having to think for a moment I was able to respond with a positive, NO.

I have always, from a very early age wanted to make a difference, now I am not really sure what I ever meant by that , but i just knew I wanted to make enough of a difference to be remembered for a bit after my parting.  

I wanted to do that from a very early age, my family told me from as young as six years old. 

As we get older we doubt our ability to "make a difference" in the world.

It is at such times that our hopes and wishes are boosted by the remarkable achievements of other seniors. Those who have found the courage to take on the challenges that would make many of us wither. 

One of my good friends is one such person. He told me, in a very earnest voice, "I have often been asked , "What do you do now that you are retired?"

His answer comes fast, and with a degree of certainty.

I am very fortunate. I have all my life been interested in chemistry. I was also fortunate enough to become a chemistry teacher. 

I have always been interested in chemical reactions and this has brought me a great amount of interest in my retired years. 

I enquired just exactly what it was he meant. 

He replied. " Well one of the things I enjoy most in life is converting beer, wine and whiskey into urine. it is rewarding, uplifting , satisfying and fulfilling. I do this most days of the week and I really do enjoy it. "

 Have a marvellous day I just might enjoy doing a bit of conversion at some point today. 




























































No comments:

Post a Comment