Thursday 1 November 2018

Stargazing.


In the last week or so I have been asked more than once, "what is your star sign?" It takes me a while to remember the answer to that question not because I have a bad memory it is just one of those facts that I have never been interested in. I am very aware that for some it is a very important factor in many ways. I know some really lovely people who sadly do not list in my friends and remain, acquaintances, not because that is how I would wish it to be but because I am of the wrong star sign.

I know some people who cannot start their day without first turning to the paper or internet to read their horoscope for the day. I have known people who have stayed at home because they dare not venture forth in fear of what might happen to them because of what they have read.

When I was a university student living in a commune money was something I had to be diligent with because I did not have much of it. To help I worked as a part-time barman and I did some work for a well-known newspaper. 

Two of the things I was asked to do on a regular basis was to write the weekly problem page under a fictitious female name. Maybe that is why I am often confused as a lady by shopkeepers who do not know me nothing at all to do with my long and very white hair.

Of course, I was shocked as a divinity student to be asked to do the daily horoscope, the problem page I revelled in and genuinely felt I might be helping. I knew nothing about horoscopes even though as a youth I was always a bit of a stargazer.  I did not refuse, maybe should have, but I tried my very best to rise to the challenge. Even now I look at horoscopes and such and remember those days and do not put much trust in them.

I do though respect the right of everybody to put their faith and trust in whatever helps them face the daily toils and joys of life. As long as they likewise respect my decision not to believe.

There is a tale. Aman who lived many years ago was convinced that he could read the future in the stars he called himself an Astrologer and spent much of his time night gazing at the stars in the sky. 

He was a man who worried much about what tomorrow might bring. The villagers from near and far often visited him for help and advice in making plans for the future.

One evening he was walking along the open road outside the village. His eyes were fixed on the stars. He thought he saw there that the end of the world was near. Lost in his thoughts about the future looking at the stars, he kept walking without looking down. 

Suddenly, he fell into a ditch full of mud and water.

He was sinking in the muddy water, and madly trying to claw at the slippery sides of the hole in his effort to climb out. He was unable to crawl out and fearing for his life, he started screaming for help. 

His cries for help brought the villagers running and they pulled him from the mud.

One of them was heard to say, “You pretend to read the future in the stars, and yet you fail to see what is at your feet! This may teach you to pay more attention to what is right in front of you, and let the future take care of itself.”

“What use is it,” said another, “to read the stars, when you can’t see what’s right here on the earth?”

I am sure like me you all want the future to be bright and happy but we must also remember that time waits for nobody it marches ever onward.

Each tomorrow turns into today, your present is also a part your future. There is always a tomorrow to look forward to and improve, but you cannot go back to yesterday. Tomorrow will come and it will be what it is.  So strive to maintain the balance of your present life while you work for a better tomorrow.

Grasp and hold to that which makes this happen for you and respect those who have another way of achieving the same goal. 

No one person is ever completely right even although some in high places and positions of power act as though they are.

Have a marvellous day.

No comments:

Post a Comment