Friday 2 November 2018

Mountains


This little house sits at the bottom end of the very famous mountains of Glencoe. In the background, you can see one of the most difficult of those mountains to get to the summit and coming down through the shale fields and into the hidden valley of Glencoe is another white-knuckle ride.

I painted this little cottage many years ago and my friend had it hanging in his home for years his version of this painting hangs now in his grandsons flat still being appreciated.

I dream of my times in those mountains that for now are no longer a part of my life. I loved the sense of danger and being up there in the clouds. I remembered those days as I walked yesterday and saw the low lying clouds on the little mountain I do from time to time summit out on.

Those are not the only mountains we have to climb in life. 

I remember a little joke I used to tell during my ministry of the man who had been told that faith can move mountains. if you believe in something then it can be done and achieved. This is very much my feeling about climbing mountains and one day I am sure I will be back up there. 

This man was sceptical about it and questioned the validity of the notion. "Try it said the man." So the man went into the country and got down on his knees in front of a huge pile of earth, he had decided to start small and work up. He knelt and prayed then looked around for the tools to move it. All he could find was a tiny spoon. He cried out, " God you do not expect me to move this with this?" holding up the spoon. He heard a loud rumble then a voice said, " I can help you move mountains, but you need to bring your own shovel."

 have climbed a few mountains but I have never managed to move any and I suspect I never will. In fact, I would find it difficult to muster the will of the belief that I could remove an anthill.

I am happy though that during the course of my life with the many many friends I have made I have moved many mountains and climbed to great heights of peace and joy. I have crossed the mountains of despair many times and climbed out of the valley of darkness.

I have overcome the burdens of pain and the sorrow of loss that for a time seemed unbearable.

Many times when I've had problems and when bills I've had to pay, and the worries and the heartaches just kept mounting every day, I do not know how I did it.  I cannot explain the wheres or whys. All I know, I've seen these mountains turn to blessings in disguise. I have of course many times had to bring my own shovel because these mountains do not just magically disappear without input from myself and I have rejoiced to find others standing with me holding their shovels also.

No, I have never moved a mountain but I rejoice that I have overcome time and again and reached above the black clouds of despair into the light of a new day. 

I am off to polish my shovel I have people who need my help and I have always to be like the good scout motto says, "Prepared ."

Have a great day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment