Saturday 24 November 2018

Never a quitter be.


I have a friend who from time to time points out where there are little art competitions taking place and identifies a possible piece of art I might consider entering. My first reaction is always the same, no I do not think so. 

I then am left thinking about it and dwelling on it and considering. I go through all of this because I have never been a person who enters competitions. Yesterday I wondered why. 

Is it because it is the safe option in life? At a very early age in life, I realised that being small of stature meant there were many things I would not be physically good at so I kept well out of the way of school sports events. I was very shy so did my best to avoid anything that involved groups.  So I learned early how to build a shield around myself as a protection. If you stay low you are less likely to get hurt or harmed.

Like everything in else in life this only worked now and again. What I did learn was a resilience that meant I have never been a quitter. One of my great heroes of life taught me this.

It was Walter Scott who said" I often wish that I could lie down and sleep without waking. But I will fight it out if I can." 

The words of one of the bravest and most inspiring of men who ever lived. 

In his 56th year, failing in health, his wife dying of an incurable disease, Scott was in debt a half million dollars. A publishing firm he had invested in had collapsed. He might have taken bankruptcy, but shrank from the stain. 

From his creditors he asked only time. Thus began his race with death, a valiant effort to pay off the debt before he died. He wrote many wonderful novels and died debt free.

There are many kinds of winning and losing in life. But one of the greatest lessons I have learned is in all things persevere and never a quitter be. 

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment