Monday 19 November 2018

All things new.


As I went off to bed last night I did so aware that when I arose in the morning my broadband hub might not be working and I would have that orange glow that comes from the hub to let me know.

There it was winking at me as I got up to go and get my first coffee of the day, strong and black giving me a little hit that nothing else does. It reaches all the right spots and places nothing else can even look at. I am fairly good with networks and computers and seldom if ever have any problems getting things up and running but changing a router is not something I do every day. So before anything, and still in my PJs, everything was disconnected and the new set up in place. 

The great switch-on. Everything seemed to be up and running but I was sure I could make one or two little tweaks that could make it run faster. Before long I was content everything was running well.

How I wish everything else in life was as simple to fix as a computer or IPad.

It is a bit like the man who had a property for sale.

Lindsay Clegg told the story of a warehouse property he was selling. The building had been empty for months and needed repairs. 

Vandals had damaged the doors, smashed the windows, and strewn rubbish around the interior. Empty food containers all over the place. Empty alcohol containers and just as dangerous strewn with empty tea bags and the plastic adhesive they contain.

As he showed a prospective buyer the property, he took great pains to say that he would replace the broken windows, bring in a crew to correct any structural damage, and clean out the rubbish. 

"Forget about the repairs," the buyer said. "When I buy this place, I'm going to build something completely different. I don't want the building; I want the site." 

Compared with the renovation of this building, or the replacement and resetting of a broadband sorting out the things that hold us back are not always as straightforward.   Sometimes we need to have a complete renewal and a change of direction. The old saying, "A change is as good as a holiday," might not be what I mean but often a little change of direction is as good as a new beginning

Have a great day and for those that are not into abstract art go on give it another look and see if you can see what I was thinking?

No comments:

Post a Comment