Thursday 29 November 2018

I saw the light.


Yesterday I certainly saw the light. Now before anybody thinks that I had another Damascus Road experience, which such a saying often engenders in the mind, it was much more straightforward than that. 

One of my tasks as secretary of the Community Council is to organise the erection of the village Christmas Tree and putting on the lights. So yesterday I thought it would be wise to check that the lights are still working.  As is always the case they were in a tangled heap. I did not go to the bother of untangling them only to put them back in the bag where they would have a mind of their own and re-engage and end up back in a tangle. I did, however, switch them on and I did check they were all working. 

So hopefully the tree will arrive either today or tomorrow and it will be put up on Saturday morning and the lights will herald the coming of Christmas. 

As I did this task my mind was of course on the subject of light and seeing the light. It has so many connotations this little saying and how we talk about those living in darkness and those having seen the light.

I do not want to go into the theology of this at this point even though my mind did venture down that road. I also did think about the idea of lights and Christmas and the meaning behind all of this and wondered how many in the midst of all the spending and jollity might give just a little thought to what lay behind it all?

It is of course always wise to make any decisions having first considered the decision to be made and to make it in the full light of all the facts. 

Making decisions in the dark can lead to some regrettable consequences. 

Back in the days before electricity, a tightfisted old farmer was taking his hired man to task for carrying a lighted lantern when he went to call on his best girl. 

"Why," he exclaimed, "when I went a-courting  I never carried one of them things. I always went in the dark." 

"Yes," the hired man said wryly," and look what you got!" 

 To finish back where I began here is a little thought.

Some people change their ways when they see the light, others only when they feel the heat.

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment