Monday 12 November 2018

An ordinary moment.


This dog played a very important part in my life for almost thirteen years we called her Tara. I was an assistant minister in a little place not far from Dundee and it was here I saw dogs offered for sale.

This was the only white dog in the litter, by many considered the runt but to me, she was the very best. I fell for her on sight and it seemed she was keen to get to know me. So started a long association and friendship. Not long after her arrival into my family, my daughter was born and the two grew up together, climbing over each other.

Tara became very protective of my daughter and her of the dog. The first words we ever heard my daughter utter, we waited a long time to hear them, were, "Do not do that to my Tara."

There is another important factor in the beginning but first, let me share another little story.

A group of elderly, cultured gentlemen met often to exchange wisdom and drink tea, something I take great delight in now and I like them have my little tea ceremony with a Chinse teapot and little cups. 

Each host tried to find the finest and most costly varieties, to create exotic blends that would arouse the admiration of his guests.

When the most venerable and respected of the group entertained, he served his tea with unprecedented ceremony, measuring the leaves from a golden box. The assembled epicures praised this exquisite tea. 

The host smiled and said, "The tea you have found so delightful is the same tea our peasants drink. I hope it will be a reminder to all that the good things in life are not necessarily the rarest or the most costly."

And the cost of my Tara? Five UK pounds which even in those days did not buy a lot. 

The same dog yesterday in an advertisement I looked at was £500.

Not everything in life is costly and some of the very best things often come at little price at all.

Have a good day.


No comments:

Post a Comment