Wednesday 31 October 2018

Being wise.


Wise Owl?

I met a person yesterday who introduced me to another person I had never met. I was left totally speechless as my friend introduced me as my wise friend. I had never considered myself as a wise person. 

In fact, I have always deep down seen myself as a bit of difficult person to have to live with. I set myself very high goals and never allow me to reach them. This, in turn, means that I frequently cause my friends annoyance at how I waste the talents I have.

It is worse than this, I have many talents I no longer or infrequently use. it is therefore important that I cherish the friends I have who accept me as I am.

I am fortunate that I have friends and that many of the so-called friends on Facebook are indeed very real friends to me accepting what I am.

I spent much time after the above comment was made considering once again friendship and the importance of being a true friend to those who consider you such.

it was Augustine who said.

"I would rather have speeches that are true than those which contain merely nice distinctions. Just as I would rather have friends who are wise than merely those who are handsome."

For me, a friend is a person who does the knocking before they enter rather than after they have left.

I know very little about American Baseball other than it looks a lot like a game we played as children and called it, "Rounders."  But I remember as a youth reading a true story in one of the comics I got every week and found a quiet corner to read in one sitting, which would be a long sitting my having difficulties with words appearing all confused. 

In his first seasons with the Brooklyn Dodgers, Jackie Robinson, the first black man to play Major League baseball, faced venom nearly everywhere he travelled. All kinds of missiles came towards at his head, illegal throws that good have caused him injuries from fellow players, brutal epithets from the opposing dugouts and from the crowds. 

During one game in Boston, the taunts and racial slurs seemed to reach a peak. 

In the midst of this, another Dodger, a Southern named Pee Wee Reese, called timeout. 

He walked from his position toward Robinson at second base, put his arm around Robinson's shoulder, and stood there with him for what seemed like a long time. 

The gesture spoke more eloquently than the words: This man is my friend.

Cherish the friends you have they are your most treasured possession.  My apologies to all who read this and take the time to comment on my page. I have for very personal reasons called a short timeout on facebook. I hope in the near future to return my old annoying self.

No comments:

Post a Comment