Friday 26 October 2018

Prepare for the worst.



Yesterday I spoke of all the tasks that have come my way because of my increased involvement in the village life and community. While out walking yesterday I was in a very reflective mood and talking with my wife and walking companion about the regrets and measured successes of life.

One of my regrets was rather strange, to say the least. I regretted my last preaching occasion. I had been persuaded to conduct two services in two churches some miles apart. I spent considerable time preparing for these services but on a Sunday morning there I was with the prospect of preaching in two churches with no sound system and my voice as it now was.

That was partly why it was not a memorable occasion although I could no longer use the full range of delivery of the past and my voice no longer had the same ability to express emotion. The real regret was the memory now of my last services is of two churches with a total congregation of about fifty people all almost of the age when getting to church must have been really difficult. Rather than taking with me the memory of a very full church that seated one thousand people and giving of my very best.

I am aware that every one of those fifty beings deserved my best and sadly they did not get it. 

I was reminded of one of my very early services where I had prepared and prepared and had retreated to my room and preached the sermon at least seven times making little corrections and changes. To be on the safe side of life I had also prepared a number of cards with bullet points on them just in case I had a mental block.

I was very fortunate in that I have never in my life experienced butterflies in my tummy prior to addressing a congregation on any other group. So I was well prepared. But the inevitable happened. I was still not used to mounting the pulpit stairs dressed and a preaching gown so I tripped and dropped all my cards. I retrieved them and got myself into the pulpit ready to deliver. I looked at my preaching cards and saw that I had forgotten to number them and they were all out of order. I laughed and told the congregation of my dilemma and threw them all back on the floor and preached what I still consider one of my best.

In life, I have ever since been prepared for the worst and given of my best.

I learned this from a preacher I held in high esteem who I had the pleasure of training with. I remember the day he like me got caught up in his robes but on leaving the pulpit not entering it. He tripped and fell out of the pulpit and landed on his knees in the nave of the church where in a flash he pronounced, "Let us pray."  The congregation bowed their heads and all embarrassment had passed.

Prepare for the worst and expect the best and the best you will give.

No comments:

Post a Comment