Tuesday 1 November 2016

The horns of a dilemma .


I apologise that the picture above is a bit out of focus. Seemed appropriate as right now that seems to be where my painting is. The more I try to get something on canvas the harder it becomes. 

I have another painting on the canvas with loads of texture on it and I really do not know where to go with it next. The trouble with texture is that once it is on the canvas a dry it is very hard to go anywhere other than where you had in mind. When that does not work you end up on the horns of a dilemma. Do I proceed and persevere and use up even more expensive paint and mediums or do I call it quits and throw it in the skip?

I went over and over this most of the night and I am wide awake with still not an answer. It is worse when my wife tells me without prompting that she thought the painting on the easel seemed to be progressing well. 

I feel this morning a bit like the man who found himself on the horns of a dilemma. let me share it with you. You are in the driving seat. 

You are driving in a car at a constant speed. 

On your left side is a steep drop-off and on your right side is a fire engine travelling at the same speed as you.

In front of you is a galloping pig, which is the same size as your car, and you cannot overtake it. 

Behind you is a helicopter flying at ground level. 

Both the giant pig and the helicopter are also travelling at the same speed as you.

What must you do to safely get out of this situation?

It is difficult is it not? Just what would you do?

Let me make a suggestion.

Get off the children's carousel and bin the bottle in your hand. 

Sometimes the solution is so much clearer when you are aware of reality . We have a great knack of making things much more difficult than they are in fact. 

Have a marvellous day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment