Thursday 24 November 2016

The rope or the door?




The above painting was painted after a walk past an old broken down brickwork wall. nature had done its bit and turned the desolation into a thing of beauty. Sometimes the beauty cannot be seen because we are so tied up in the desolation.

This painting was purchased by a couple who had just had a death in their family and said that the painting reminded them of hope and new beginnings. They decorated a room to accommodate the painting I I was great moved by the gesture. I hope it still brings them pleasure. 

Tonight I am giving a demonstration to a group of artists. I have decided to be brave and go for a textured abstract painting. I could easily have gone for the easy option of painting something I had done before where I would be certain of the outcome, but I chose to be brave. 

yesterday out of the blue somebody totally unknown to me took a real swipe at one of my paintings making some really scathing remarks about it. Like always, I listen to that reaction and all the good comments seem to disappear like snow from a wall on a sunny day. 

It was not what i needed at that particular moment, so it is with some fear I face the day, and evening as I prepare my materials and and head out to the appointed hour.

There is a story that I really should go and think upon for a moment.

There once was this criminal who had committed a crime. (Because, hey, that’s what criminals do. That’s their job!) 

He was sent to the king for his punishment. 

The king told him he had a choice of two punishments. 

He could be hung by a rope or take what’s behind the big, dark, scary, iron door. 

The criminal quickly decided on the rope. As the noose was being slipped on him, he turned to the king and asked. “By the way, out of curiosity, what’s behind that door?” 

The king laughed and said: “You know, it’s funny, I offer everyone the same choice, and nearly everyone picks the rope.” 

“So,” said the criminal, “Tell me. What’s behind the door? I mean, obviously, I won’t tell anyone,” he said, pointing to the noose around his neck. 

The king paused then answered, “Freedom, but it seems most people are so afraid of the unknown that they immediately take the rope.”

Right now I feel like I may be facing the rope but you never know there might be a wonderful experience behind the door.

I hope you all have a very good day. I do not suppose the person who out of the blue and unknown to me will read this but I really do hope she has a good day also. 

No comments:

Post a Comment