Friday 11 November 2016

Questions Questions and More Questions.



I had an interesting conversation just the other day where a good friend told me that an eminent person had told hime something so it must be true. it has stuck with me since and I have been thinking and thinking about how much better life might have been if I could have just listened to other sand believed them.

The painting above was one of my very first ever abstract paintings and it grew from just such a situation. I cannot remember now what it was that was milling in my head but I had this thought that it would be nice if I was not continually bombarded with thinking.

Oh to have the quiet life? 

Then I read again the words of the Buddha. I also heard again the constant words of my father, who incidentally had probably never ever heard a word about the Buddha. 

I read the words again the other day and found myself saying to hang with the quiet life, life would be boring if we were not constantly asking ourselves questions and testing ourselves with newer and better challenges. 

So let me share with you those words again. 

“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. 

Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many. 

Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. 

Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. 

Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. 

But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.” 

OH dear so serious this morning but go on have an exciting day.  Not sure if I will be able to blog this weekend going away in my motorhome for the weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment