Thursday 9 November 2017

A bit of sun.


Yesterday a friend told me she was sitting out in the sun having breakfast. Of course, she was not living in Scotland where yesterday the sun was shining but it being almost winter it was not warm enough to sit outside. 

It is strange how the sun changes everything. I walked yesterday one of the walks I had not walked for a bit. It involves climbing a gully path ever climbing. At the top, there is a lovely little waterfall that you walk under.  

I will not describe the rest of the walk but will say that it is an undulating rough path through woodland and hillside.  When the sun is shining the hills do not seem so steep and the path does not feel nearly so difficult. 

Now that just might be because the last time I walked it was a few months ago so I might be a bit less fit or it just might, in fact, be a frame of mind. 

As I walked I thought of the ancient tale of the sun and the cave. 

One day the sun and a cave struck up a conversation. 

The sun had trouble understanding what “dark” and “dank” meant and the cave didn’t quite get the hang of “light and clear” so they decided to change places. 

The cave went up to the sun and said, “Ah, I see, this is beyond wonderful. Now I understand what you mean by light and clear.

Now come down and see where I have been living.” 

The sun went down to the cave and said, “ I don’t see any difference.”

Of course, it saw no difference because the very presence of the sun in the cave would make it light and clear. 

It is not what is around us that make the difference it is our attitude to what is around that determines how we see it. 

I would still love a bit of sun today but with the right thinking, I am sure Dunfermline will be full of light and laughter. 

have a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment