Saturday 18 November 2017

It is what you have and who you are.



Today I hit another milestone. This is the six hundredth blog entry in this series of blogs. It is a fair journey. I have not managed to post on six hundred consecutive days because there have been times when it has just not been possible.

The number of posts is not at all important I just happened to notice that this was the case.  What is it that is important? I found myself asking this yesterday. Was I wasting my time? The number of people reading them, liking them, or commenting on them is not a huge number, so am I wasting my time and theirs?

From a selfish point, the rigour of trying to produce something every day is a good discipline and I suppose is good for my daily thought process. 

From the point of the reader, I am humbled that now and again people contact me and in a personal message thank me for something that has been read here. 

Six hundred, one hundred or one does not really matter. If one of those six hundred has given one person a reason to smile, laugh or think I have not been wasting my time. 

So should I call it quits at this momentous stage? or should I try to keep going? 

I am reminded of the tale of the old woman. 

A wise woman who was travelling in the mountains found a precious stone in a stream. 

The next day she met another traveller who was hungry, and the wise woman opened her bag to share her food. The hungry traveller saw the precious stone and asked the woman to give it to him. 

She did so without hesitation. The traveller left, rejoicing in his good fortune. He knew the stone was worth enough to give him security for a lifetime.

A few days later, he came back to return the stone to the wise woman. 

"I've been thinking," he said. "I know how valuable this stone is, but I give it back in the hope that you can give me something even more precious."

"What might that be?" asked the old woman.

 "Give me what you have within you that enabled you to give me this stone."

Sometimes it's not the wealth you have but what's inside you that others need. 

We are all very precious individuals and we all have something unique to us that is worthy of sharing with others.

Have a marvellous day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment