Saturday 11 November 2017

Poppies ( Lest we forget. )


Poppies (Lest We Forget.)

I was feeling low, in dark despair,
Caught in a time warp, of my own,
A black and lonely deep abyss.
No thoughts beyond my own.
No cares beyond the cares of selfish me.
Poor little me.
Why is life so cruel? I asked.

The beating drum of Me, Me, Me.
And My, My, My
Drowned every sound
except the hammering in my head.

Then there before me,
blood red in all their glory
a field of poppies.

Vibrant hues that pulled me from the depths.
Back into the world and creation.
I thought of years of blood, poured forth for such as me.
Wars fought,
That I might have this day.
Free to wander life’s highway.

 I thought of those who emptied out their lives.
I heard the birds and beauty saw.
No more I thought of me.
In the sound of silence heard voices say.
Do not forget to remember me.
I drank the deep refreshing joy of life and turned with thankful heart.
To face the morrow and come what may.

T Ralph Taylor

I did not think I need to make any further comment. I hope this says it all for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment