Wednesday 8 November 2017

Harpic.




A few days ago I was told a "joke" and I laughed. Yesterday almost a week later as I walked I felt bad that I had laughed. Let me tell you about the true account of the event. 

I was sitting with a friend sharing conversation and a laugh. It was good to be in good company and to be able to relax and feel at ease in the company of others. This may seem strange but I have not always found it simple to relax in the company of others, but that is a long story.

As we were sitting another person walked through the door.  One of those in my company said, "Ah here comes Harpic." A ripple of laughter went around the table. I did not grasp what was funny so I asked. I was then told. "He is clean around the bend." For those who are not aware Harpic is a well know toilet cleaning fluid. 

On seeing the full import of the name I laughed. Yesterday I wish I had not. The person in question was a man who had throughout his life persevered under the difficulties of a learning disability. He, in fact, was an example of one of those who in spite of what life had thrown his way had not let things get him down and had done better than might ever have been expected of him. He was, in fact, a caring person. 

This reminded me of another true story. 

An old man lived in the village. He was one of the most unfortunate people in the world. 

The whole village was tired of him, he was always gloomy, constantly complained and always was in a bad mood. The longer he lived, the more he seemed to get angry and the more poisonous his words became.   

People avoided him, because his misfortune became contagious. He created the feeling of unhappiness in almost everybody he came into contact with.

Then one day, his birthday, he became eighty years old.  An incredible thing happened.

The rumour spread around the village that he was no longer grumpy and obstinate and complaining.  He was even seen to be smiling. He looked like a new person.

The word spread around the village. Eventually, one person asked the old man old man.


"What happened to you?"

"Nothing special," he answered. – 


For eighty years I’ve been chasing happiness, and it was useless. "Then I decided to live without happiness and just enjoy life.  That is why I am happy now!"

Have a happy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment