Friday 6 May 2016

There is nothing wrong with sharing.



Yesterday I had two occasions when all I could do was laugh to myself and at myself. The first one happened when I found myself standing in the bedroom and wondering what it was I had gone into the bedroom for. Usually I only ever go there if I am wanting to put on a top or to cover the clothes I have on with my painting top. I am always getting into trouble for having paint over everything I wear, but I do try not to. 
Later I discovered what it was I had gone there. When out walking I realised I had no belt on my trousers and they were slipping down my waist. 

This reminded me of the story of the three sisters.

Their  ages were  92, 94 and 96 and they lived in a house together.
One night, the 96 year-old draws a bath. She puts her foot in and pauses. She yells down the stairs: "Was I getting in or out of the bathtub?"
The 94 year-old yells back: "I don't know. I'll come up and see."
She starts up the stairs and pauses. Then she yells: "Was I going up the stairs or down?"
The 92 year-old is sitting at the kitchen table having tea, listening to her sisters. She shakes her head and says: "I sure hope I never get that forgetful."  
She knocks on wood for good measure, and then yells: "I'll come up and help both of you as soon as I see who's at the door!"

The second thing was the old lady who came into the place I meet my friends. She came in with her son also retired. This I am told by my friends is a daily event, they come in for a meal so that they will not have to cook at home. The staff know them well and know exactly what they have. So one of the staff will go over and be told what meal it is they want.  When it is served they always bring two plates and two lots of cutlery and a bottle of wine. 
The sone gives his old mother a share of his meal and cuts it up for her and pours her a glass of wine. They have their meal and the remaining wine is put into the shopping bag and taken home for the evening. 
This reminded me of a similar story.

An old couple came into a restaurant for a meal, the old man placed an order for one hamburger, French fries, and a drink. He unwrapped the plain hamburger and carefully cut it in half, placing one half in front of his wife.
He then carefully counted out the French fries, dividing them into two piles and neatly placed one pile in front of his wife. He took a sip of the drink, his wife took a sip and then set the cup down between them. As he began to eat his few bites of hamburger, the people around them were looking over and whispering.
Obviously they were thinking, “That poor old couple—all they can afford is one meal for the two of them.”
As the man began to eat his fries a young man came to the table and politely offered to buy another meal for the old couple. The old man said, they were just fine—they were used to sharing everything.
People closer to the table noticed the little old lady hadn't eaten a bite. She sat there watching her husband eat and occasionally taking turns sipping the drink..
Again, the young man came over and begged them to let him buy another meal for them. This time the old woman said “No, thank you, we are used to sharing everything.”
Finally, as the old man finished and was wiping his face neatly with the napkin, the young man again came over to the little old lady who had yet to eat a single bite of food and asked “What is it you are waiting for?”
She answered, “The Teeth.”

The old man had said they shared everything. Life is all about sharing and taking care of each other  and our friends. Rejoice in those around you who are willing to tolerate all your little foibles. Have a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment