Monday 16 May 2016

Just a thought.

Rosyth Parish Church.


I left school at at the age of fifteen my mother having been told it would be a waste of time my staying on. It would just be a year when I would learn little and earn nothing. 

Thinking about it later in life I suspect that said more about the quality of teaching than it actually said about me.

I left school and started to work in a job that was neither testing search for meaning purpose and life continues. or rewarding in any real sense. So I began to find other things tomato life more than just the tedium of the daily grind. 

And so it went on for about four almost five years. Music began to play a more and more important part in my life but I felt there was so much more out there.

Then along came the new minister to the church above.  He had ideas about make the church and religion more interesting. He was visiting in my street one day when I and some friends were playing music in my bedroom with the window open. He knocked at the door and was swiftly told what we thought of his religion. 

He was a persistent man though and was back again a few days later. Eventually he he persuaded me to come down and see if I could help write some music to fit the hymns that some young people in the church were writing. And so my life changed.

He saw something in me that no teacher had noticed and helped me overcome the learning block. Long story but my journey into university and education had begun. 

Over the years the desire to learn and question has never died and my search for meaning and purpose still progresses.

It all began with a few questions. Can I share a few little questions today. Answers on a postcard please. 

Let me begin with a few Whys.

Why does the sun lighten our hair, yet it darkens our skin?

Why is that women cannot put on make up without having their mouths open?

Why is it we never read in the papers the headline, "Psychic Wins Huge bet on the Grand National"?

Why do we need such a long word such as abbreviated.?

Why is it that what doctors do is practice?

Why is that to close a windows computer you hit the start button?

Why does lemon juice contain artificial flavours, and dishwashing liquid is made with real lemons?

Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called the rush hour?

Why is there no such thing as mouse flavoured cat food?

When dog food is new and improved tasting, who tests it.?

Why do they not make all of the aeroplane with the same material as the indestructible black box?

If flying in so safe why do they call the point of departure the terminal?

Have a happy and thoughtful day. 













  •  
  •  
  •  
  •   
  •  

No comments:

Post a Comment