Monday 30 May 2016

Hymns for everyday


Today  I begin by telling a very real tale. I once had a member of my church who was a very hard working member of the congregation. He was the church officer and all that that involved, including very ceremoniously carrying in the bible, which he did with great dignity.

He also helped me with the organising and running of a disco for young people on a Saturday evening. This was no easy task.

He also had a great sense of humour.One Saturday evening as we were cleaning up after the disco i thought i saw something funny happening with the coffee. So when we finished and gathered for a cup of coffee together I quietly swopped his coffee for mine. he did not notice. we had our coffee and began to pack away the disco equipment. He began to pass wind. He had doctored my coffee with joke powder to make this happen to me.

I smiled at him and everybody had a little laugh.

The next morning as he carried the bible into church i smiled again. As he took his place in the beadles seat I announced the first hymn. I feel the winds of god today. There were many smiling faces in the church that morning.

A similar and very true story happened to a minister.

He was completing a temperance sermon. With great emphasis he said, "If I had all the beer in the world, I'd take it and pour it into the river."
With even greater emphasis, he said, "And if I had all the wine in the world, I'd take it and pour it into the river."
And then finally, shaking his fist in the air, he said, "And if I had all the whisky in the world, I'd take it and pour it into the river!"
The sermon complete, he sat down.
While the preacher was giving vent the organist had change the list of hymns on the hymn board without him seeing.
After the sermon the minister looked at the board and announced , " We shall now sing hymn 365. Strangely this was not the hymn he thought he had picked. he quickly looked it up and said. "Shall We Gather At The River."

beware your words and actions they just might come back in ways you least expect.






No comments:

Post a Comment