Tuesday 3 May 2016

Lie is too short to take seriously.




I have a real tendency to take life too seriously and try as hard as I do I often find myself slipping back to the old me and not forgiving myself. It is very simple to show that such an attitude is not good  and certainly it can be very destructive.

I can remember  a Monday morning and I was playing with a number of other ministers from various parishes in the area.  I was playing very well and feeling good about my round golf. As we approached the ninth green my friend and the minister I was competing with said to me, "I was talking to one of your church members earlier this morning. She was telling me that yesterdays sermon was not one of your better ones."  

Well, almost instantly my golf took a turn for the worse. Balls that before had been going straight down the fairway were now heading off and into the rough long grass. Before long the almost commanding lead I had had disappeared.  It was only then that my friend pointed out that he had been pulling my leg. "I needed to get some advantage over you. I was heading for a whitewash," he said. 

Thank goodness the man in this short story did not take life too seriously.

A newly married man asked his wife, "Would you have married me if my father hadn't left me a fortune?"
"Honey," the woman replied sweetly, "I'd have married you, NO MATTER WHO LEFT YOU A FORTUNE!"

To be fair and not be accused of being sexist.
A wife asked her husband: 

"What do you like most in me, my pretty face or my sexy body?"

He looked at her from head to toe and replied: "I like your sense of humour!"

I really do hope that this man had a sense of humour.
The man was in hospital and had been slipping in and out of a coma for several months, yet she had stayed by his bedside every single day.
One day, when he came to, he motioned for her to come nearer.
As she sat by him, he whispered, eyes full of tears, 
"You know what? You have been with me all through the bad times.
When I got fired, you were there to support me.
When my business failed, you were there.
When I got shot, you were by my side.
When we lost the house, you stayed right here.
When my health started failing, you were still by my side...
You know what Martha?"
"What dear?'"she gently asked, smiling as her heart began to fill with warmth.
"I'm beginning to think you're bad luck..."

I hope you have a good day today remember do not take life too seriously it is far too short for that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment