Saturday 8 September 2018

The Ferryman


The Ferryman Comes.

I am sure you remember the tales you were told as a youngster about the ferryman who came to ferry you over the River Styx or carried you off to Hades. I do not know about anybody else but I know that I found those tales depressing and frightening. They were brought back to me the other day when I was working on something else.

I can remember my gran telling me those tales and her friend smiling and making fun of me telling me I would be ok because I was a well-behaved boy.  Did not make me feel much better when later that evening they sent me down to the local fish and chip shop in the dark. I had four flights of stairs to climb in the pitch dark on my way back. 

But do not despair, having remembered that I also remembered another tale about the ferryman much more humorous.

A professor was on a journey of some importance. He was about to be invited to deliver a series of important lectures. he was feeling very proud of the honour and wanted to make sure that everybody was aware of his stature and position in society.

As his journey proceeded he had to cross a river which meant him using the services and skills of the ferryman.

The name of the ferryman was Nerrendin, a humble man just seeking to make enough to keep a roof over the heads of his family and food on the table.

The professor climbed into the boat and very quickly began to show his qualities.

"Do you know the square root of nine," he asked Narrendin.

Narrendin replied, "No sir I do not."

"You have wasted half your life," said the professor.

"Do you know how to spell elephant?" Asked the professor.

Narrendin replied again, "No sir I do not."

"You have wasted half your life."

With a great deal of pride and obvious mockery, he turned again and said, "Do you know anything at all about the rules of grammar, or spelling and math?"

"No sir I do not I had a poor mother and father who taught me to earn a living.

"Well you have wasted half your life," growled the professor.

At this, the sailor was terribly hurt and aggrieved. But he kept quiet. Suddenly the boat began to roll and turn in the high waves and gushing water. 

“Do you know how to swim, learned Sir?” asked Narrinder.
“No!” said the professor.
The ferryman remarked, “Alas! You have wasted your whole life for the boat is sure to capsize in a few minutes.”

Never out of foolish pride put another person down. There is no one person who cannot learn from another.

Or as my good friend, Jim has been known to say, "Every day is a school day."

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment