Friday 7 September 2018

Happiness in success.

Contentment and Peace.
It was with a great sense of happiness that I awoke yesterday to discover that all the work that had gone into making the village where I live look beautiful with its many tubs and hanging baskets full of wonderful flowers, had been awarded a gold medal and also picked up an award for the work done among the youth of the village by the Freuchie in Flower group. Well done to all involved.

I am wishing that I could convey this sense of happiness and success to the many ducks that are gathered around my feet as I sit here having my breakfast and putting together this blog. I am having some happiness in the pleasure of what I am having and it is in some measure thanks to birds just like them. I am having a duck egg on a baguette.

There are links between happiness and success that are fairly obvious but not always so.

Let me share another tale.
A famous art collector was walking through a small town when he noticed a cat lapping milk from a saucer in the doorway of a store. He does a double take, recognizing that the saucer is extremely old and very valuable. Thinking quickly he walks casually into the store and offers to buy the cat for five pounds.

Fred the store owner replies, “I’m sorry, but the cat is not for sale.”

Please,” the collector says, I need a hungry cat around the house to catch mice. I’ll pay you ten pounds for that cat.”

Sold! the store owner says, and hands over the cat.

The collector continues, Sir, for the ten pounds I wonder if you could throw in that old saucer. The cat’s used to it and it’ll save me from having to get a dish.”

Sorry friend, Fred the owner says, but that’s my lucky saucer. So far this week I’ve sold 68 cats!”

A cat and a saucer are two different things. So are, success and happiness, two different realities.

If we gently practice happiness, we will be happy. There’s no guarantee that we will be successful also.

Similarly, if work towards success, we will be successful but again, not necessarily happy.
If we desire to be both happy and successful we have to invest in both.

If we want both the cat and the saucer, they do not come as a package we need to pay for both! The Freuchie in Flower group knew that winning a gold would bring happiness to them and the rest of the village, to gain that happiness they worked hard to gain success.

Have a wonderful day. Moving day for me again will post again whenever I am able.

No comments:

Post a Comment