Thursday 13 September 2018

Hidden Treasure



A friend of mine painted a beautiful wave painting and I was reminded of a very famous wave painted many years ago in China. I just could not resist painting a wave. So thanks to faye and thanks to the ancient Chinese artist both of who made a better job than I have.

Yesterday my thoughts were very much on a peaceful and thoughtful walk. Would this be possible living on a. caravan site on the edge of a very large city? Not being one for visiting Tourist Information places and find myself armed with a bundle of possibilities that would take a long time to accomplish I am more for little voyages and journeys of discoveries.

Now please do not get me wrong my wife just loves visiting such places and part of our van is full of brochures of places visited and places not.

So yesterday armed with my regulation apple, the edible kind, and a bottle of water I set off to see if I could sniff out what I longed for. I left the site and not very far from the exit I spotted a little track leaving the road. I ventured forth and found myself following a river along a little narrow path. The sun shining through the trees the birds singing in the trees I was in heaven.

This little treasure of a path wound its way weaving and turning on two occasions I had to come out and cross a road but it started up again. I managed to walk for almost four miles before I ended up in a sunflower field. So with this and the return journey almost 8 miles (14 k approx) A little treasure in the heart of a city.

As I walked I thought of the tale of the old lady and her son.

A woman whose husband died unexpectedly faced dire circumstances. Creditors hounded her, taking everything away from her and her young son. Fearing she might lose the most valuable possession of the family, she hid a priceless jewel that had been handed down for generations by sowing it into the sleeve of an old coat that the creditors would never want.

The troubles weighed on her grief and eventually broke her spirit and she died without ever telling her son about the jewel.

The boy found himself without family or home, his only inheritance the old threadbare coat that the creditors left him. He found work wherever he could staying in barns or out in the forest, exposed to the elements and grave hardship. Filled with sorrow at his fate, he endured the passing years with an abiding belief in the unfairness of life.

One day, as he was chopping wood, his sleeve caught on a branch and tore open. Out spilt the priceless jewel onto the ground before him!

Sadly it is so true that for many of us we live in the majority if not all of our lives never finding that inner jewel that lies at the very heart of our being. Often this is because we have denied something like I did for more than half my life never discovering the joy of painting and art.


Becoming more aware of the hidden jewel we carry at all times brings us in touch with the source of inner peace and happiness. The more we identify with our hidden treasure, the more we become a well of peace and happiness overflowing into the lives of others.

Have a marvellous day and seek inside what jewel has stayed hidden for the years you have lived?

No comments:

Post a Comment