Friday 1 June 2018

Where are we all going?



Questions I find myself asking time after time day after day are two questions I used to tell my students were, "The Big Questions," The big questions of life, Where have we come from and where are we going? I know for a fact that these are not by any means the biggest questions or the only ones but they do come into my head frequently, and never without me stopping and pondering.

Before I go anywhere let me say just a little something about the painting above. At least two people who have seen it prior to my posting it on the blog have said they do not like it because of the lack of detail or that I could have left out the poppies. The lack of detail is because I painted it as a moment's impulse and painted it quickly on the spot so kept it simple and light. The poppies I added one or two extra because I liked it.

This little chapel I found on a hill I walked two days ago. Sadly it was falling into disrepair and surrounded by rubbish and waste. The poppies looked better than the empty cartons. It does though raise again in my mind that question where are we going. This little chapel would have been built by somebody to make a little place of retreat and a statement of faith, now it is rapidly becoming a thing of the past, a ruin. Is this the way of religion and faith?


Another little painting I did while walking and completed back at my van. More detail, any better? A matter of taste opinion and likes.

What is it? Another of my many little rock creations, I build them fairly frequently when having a breather on a walk. Painting them makes me have a real attachment to each stone I placed in position. Which conveniently leads me back to my questions. Where did we come from and where are we going?

These little rock formations always remind me of the impermanence of all things and life its very self. This little creation will not last forever like every other one it will fall or be pushed over. it will erode and change because nothing lasts forever.

Being aware of this frailty of all things brings home the frailty of our being. But it fills me with a certainty that I must live this moment and all others as if it were my last. 

I hear voices in my head saying that some things do last forever,  I hold onto the idea that everything is in a constant state of change, therefore even those seemingly permanent things like love are constantly evolving becoming something new to grow and develop that which was.

There are other things I could list that might be put forward as forever but that takes me into the realms of faith and belief and then for each of us different and personal, and those I prefer to discuss on the level of one to one. At present, I hope my thoughts can do for you what they do for me raise questions about the way we treat our planet the people around us and the way society is evolving, good and bad.

What we do with these questions and thoughts is for each of us to decide.

I am now in a beautiful little Spanish village on the coast not far from where Salvador Dali painted the famous painting of the Crucifiction. That is another thought and story.




No comments:

Post a Comment