Tuesday 5 June 2018

Is it useful, I ask?


One thing I think most artists have in common is the collecting bug. All of my artist friends are just like me in the sense that if they see something that looks interesting the pick it up and takes it home, sure that they will be able to use it creatively at some stage. I do it all the time. I see something and ask myself what can I do with this. Sometimes I do in fact find a use at other times they lie about in my study or garage waiting for me to actually find that use.

A few years ago I found some beautiful brass drawer handles in a refuse bin and could not resist them. My friend Sandra found another very similar set and I have those also. I am one hundred percent certain that they will be just the thing I am looking for.

There is a downside to this. The upside, of course, is that we are constantly trying to recycle. The downside is that we begin to put a value on everything and then categorise things on the basis of usefulness, and so often get it wrong.

There is a beautiful thought in the book, "The Tao of Pooh."

"You complain that your tree is not valuable as lumber. But you could make use of it and the shade it provides, rest under its sheltering branches, and stroll beneath admiring its character and appearance. Since it would not be endangered by an axe, what could threaten its existence? it is useless only because you want to make it into something else and do not use it in its proper way."

I have spoken before about the dandelion weed. Can I share one or two other thoughts about this, "weed?"

I always saw them as the curse of all gardeners with their long-reaching roots and their prolific ability to reproduce. My action then when I saw them was brand them as useless and pulled them out at every sight and opportunity.

Then one day I learned that these same plants were the first food of the spring bees. They relied on them to get the hive up and running and producing honey. I now leave them for as long a possible just deadheading them before they spread their seeds.

The leaves are delicious in salads and they add a wonderful tang to a stir-fry. The flowers can also be used in cooking, but that again deprives the bees of their food. A very healthy drink of dandelion and burdock is for some of us a marvellous tasting beverage.

Recycling is good but beware of the trap of always asking if something is of value and worth.  I am not at all sure what the answer would be if people asked before being my friend if I was of any worth or value?  I am aware that there are those who do treat fellow humans on this level. believe me when in honesty I say that everybody I meet is of great pleasure to me no matter who they are or what they are, their friendship alone cannot be measured.

Have a wonderful and resourceful day.


No comments:

Post a Comment