Wednesday 20 June 2018

Nothing worth saying.


there are times in life when you realise you have nothing to say but you say it anyway. I know for a fact there are times in my life that I have said something that I later regretted and knew that the best course of action would have been just to hold my tongue and keep quiet.

Can you remember any of the completely silly things you have heard others saying and realised you had said something similar?

"A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's printed on." This is one thing I have heard said many many times. I can also understand why it has been said. In fact, in Scotland, a verbal contract has exactly the same strength of law behind it as a written contract. If something has been verbally agreed and hands have shaken it is binding. But the sentence still makes little sense.

When a certain royal child was born and named I remember this being said more than once. "Every Tom, Dick, and Harry is named William." I make no further comment.

Now, ladies and gentlemen, listen slowly." Now please explain to me how we do this.

"For your information, I would like to ask a question." How many times have I sat waiting in anticipation to hear a speaker and this is how they have opened their talk. For me the point of listening has gone.

"Don't talk to me while I'm interrupting." I have many friends whom I have heard saying just this and may even have said it myself.

Include me out."  This one is so very common and never fails to bring a smile to my face.

And lastly this one I am sure we have all heard more than once. 

"I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong." When you are in the company of a person who says this you would be as well going home.

Today I have no real words of wisdom have come to me as I have walked cycled and swam so the very best thing for me or anybody else in such a situation is to bow out gracefully and say nothing. It takes a wise person to know when this is the case and an even stronger person to in fact say nothing. I say no more. 

Have a great day.





No comments:

Post a Comment