Monday 18 June 2018

Getting Lost.


Yesterday I got lost, now this is nothing new it has happened to me many times in the past. It happened most often when I was a runner. I would arrive at a new site and head off out for a run. I would know how far I hoped to run, usually around about ten miles, but I was not always so keyed into the direction of travel. I remember one day ending up completely lost and to make matters worse my French was terrible and even if it had been better I could not remember the name of the site I was on. Two or more hours later I found my way back.

Another occasion that is well imprinted on my brain was the day I had noticed a cycle route. My wife and son were going to join me they cycling me running. All seemed to be going well until I noticed a crossing I had been over before. Lost without a paddle as they say. That day I ran forty miles and not only did I run the cycle route but the other four routes also.

Having had that experience I began to take greater attention of my surroundings while running and walking. I also kept in my head the turns I was taking, two lefts and a right, giving me an idea of where in respect of my site I might be. So it was with great surprise that yesterday I managed to lose my way and my bearings.

Fortunately knowing the time and seeing the sun I was able to find my way back to the beach and after two miles walking along it, I began to recognise my surroundings.

Being lost on a journey is not the only kind of lostness we may suffer. In life, we determine our goals and set out on the path we believe will get us to the goal. But knowing where we are heading and having set our goals the future is always uncertain. This is why it is important to continually evaluate where we are on our journey of life and even more so if we are on a spiritual journey.

When confronted with pivotal decisions it is good to stop and take stock. How much more do we wish to do, will staying the course bring us to the desired goal. Never be afraid to change path even though to do so will upset routines. If we never know where we are in life we can never expect to find the happiness we seek. it is never easy to change course but it is frequently a worthy exercise.

Have a marvellous day and beware of losing track or course on the journey to your goals. of course we have to have set the goals or the journey is pointless.

No comments:

Post a Comment