Friday 29 June 2018

A quiet moment.



After a hectic day in the hills, it was my intention yesterday to have a simpler walk on my own my last day in this spot for this visit.  A friend had given me a walk and drawn a little map on a sheet of paper it looked straightforward and fairly simple. No more getting lost.

I was looking for some peace, a silent moment time to just be at one with the world.

I went forth to seek silence,
I looked to gladden my heart in the silence,
I hoped to just look and adore nature.

The simple little walk on the slip of paper looked small and easy but it turned out to be a ten-mile walk along a meandering track on hills and through woodland. But I stopped looking at the mileage. on my watch and just enjoyed.

I have been finding over the past months a desire to find moments of silence more and more. I find it a great comforter and a bringer of peace and meaningfulness. On this meandering path, I found it in abundance. The sounds of birds and chickadees and the many butterflies filled my heart. To find such silence brings no need to be anything other than yourself, here you can just be. 

My phone was off and my watch in silent mode. The only concern was I had forgotten to lift my bottle of water, not a wise thing to do in the present heat.

As I neared the end of the instructions I glanced at my watch, I was just over five miles from my starting point. The path opened out in a glade with a little crystal clear stream. I sat for a moment cupping my hands in the cold water and drinking it tasted like nectar.

The butterfly that I painted settled on a flower, I could swear I heard the beating of its wings. I wished I could have talked butterfly and thanked him/her for being there in that moment with me.

In a noisy world where we seem to compete to talk the loudest and have our music blasting from our cars, silence such as I found was bliss, there was a real sense of wonder that was almost something sacred.

It was time to make my return trip and not concern those who might be worrying about where I was. I strode out with a new found confidence having found that peace that seems elusive.  

Lao Tzu would have said I was living that moment in the heart of the Tao at one with chi.

I do know that the thought of the return five miles seemed nothing and I relished in its thought.

Feeling down? Feeling concerned? Feeling worried? Turn everything off and seek some silence my prescription for a sense of freedom and joy.

Driving to a new site today last time I visited this place I had a wonderful moment with a kingfisher hope he is still there. 

Have a great and peaceful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment