Saturday 7 October 2017

The visit.


One of the important things a minister has to do, though sadly not nearly so often now it seems, is visit those who are getting on in life and maybe now living in a retirement home. 

I felt very sorry that the minister of my Father in Law hardly if ever visited him in the latter years of his life. He had been a member of the church all of his life and even in his later years unable to go had still contributed financially. 

If there was ever anything i did that left me feeling I had done something worthwhile this was it. 

My friend agreed with me feeling the same about his ministry. But he tells of an incident that can only bring a smile to your day.

The minister had driven to the Retirement Nursing Home to visit Jean, an elderly member of his church in the latter years of her life.
"Hi Jean, good to see you, can I sit with you for awhile?"
As they begin chatting, the minister notices a bowl full of peanuts on the nearby nightstand.

As Jean continues to share a story he's already heard a few times before, he reaches for the bowl of peanuts and takes one.
As the conversation continues, he also continues to eat more and more peanuts.  Near the end of their time together he realises he has eaten every single peanut in the bowl.
"Jean , I must apologise. It seems that I have eaten every one of your peanuts."
"Oh that's okay minister."
"They would have just sat there anyway."
"Without my teeth anymore, all I can do is lick and suck the chocolate off of them and put the peanuts back in the bowl."

Everyone a fruit and nut case?

Have a marvellous day.

No comments:

Post a Comment