Thursday 19 October 2017

Getting to Heaven.




I regularly got into trouble at school because I answered questions with all the honesty I could muster. Frequently those answered were misconstrued and I ended up in bother. 

My mouth has got me into trouble frequently throughout my whole life. I think I found social skills very difficult. When I decided to enter the ministry a dear old lady who had in many senses adopted me spent a great amount of time telling me what was and what was not acceptable behaviour. 

She also told me how to conduct myself at table, not only the cutlery but everything about the process. I always found this difficult but if I was to be a minister it was something i had to learn. 

Last night i watched a programme presented by Chris Peckham speaking about his life with Aspergers.  It certainly sounded very familiar to my past.

Like him I got into many difficulties. I suppose I should rejoice in retirement because I can be selective about where I go and with whom. I can rejoice in not having to constantly meet strangers. I can allow my obsessive behaviour its full reign within the constraints of affordability. 

I wonder if the young boy in the following tale had something going on in his life or did he just have a deep understanding of the realities of life. 

Before I tell it the painting above is the other one I thought i no longer had. Dunfermline Abbey.  I spent many happy happy hours in those grounds and around that bridge as a young lad just exploring. 


The story is of the Sunday School teacher speaking with her class. The lesson was on the concept of getting to heaven.

She asked them, 'If I sold my house and my car, 
 had a big garage sale 
and gave all my money 

to the church, 

Would that get me into Heaven?'

'NO!'

Answered the class. 



'If I cleaned the church every day, 
mowed the lawns, 

and kept everything neat and tidy, 
would that get me into Heaven?'




Again, the answer was, 'NO!' 



By now she was starting to smile. 
Hey, this was fun!

'Well, then, if I was kind to animals 

and gave sweets 
to all the children, 
and loved my husband, would that get me into Heaven?' 
She asked them again.     


Again, they all answered, 'NO!' 

She was just bursting with pride for them. 
'Well,' she continued, 'then how can I get into Heaven?' 
  
A five-year-old boy shouted out, 
 The first thing you need to get to heaven is you have to be DEAD 



Once again it takes the wisdom of a child to get to the heart of the matter. That is the sort of answer that got me into trouble often. 

Have a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment