Friday 6 October 2017

The Joys of Ministry.


Making new friends on holiday has an uncanny knack of making you look back over times now gone and just memories. It is amusing how we all have things in common with others.

I met teachers, artists , members of churches and all kinds of people but having had a such a rich and varied life was able to relate to most in one way or another.

One such meeting brought back memories of the ministry. These are true stories not made up tales, there may be a little bit of embellishment due to the passing of time but in essence true tales and events.

I as a minister was one of those who regularly visited the members of my church and others. I announced from the pulpit on a Sunday which part of the parish I would be making visitations.  
There were good points about this practice. People were aware that you were visiting and so were not caught by surprise. The downside was that there was always the odd one who did not answer the door.
At one house, it was obvious that someone was home, but nobody came to the door even though I had knocked several times.   I gave this some thought and made out little visiting cards for just such occasions.  On the front I printed tried to call but you were not at home sorry to have missed you. On the back I printed, "Revelation 3:20"   and stuck it in the door.
What does that mean? Well, if you look it up you will read:
"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with me."
One of those cards turned up in the collection plate one Sunday.  Below the my message was written the following:
"I heard your voice in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; and I hid myself."
  Genesis 3:10
You just never know and you certainly should never jump to wrong ideas about why the door is not being answered when you go to visit somebody. 
Have a wonderful day and I hope some friend comes knocking when you are ready to share time with them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment