Saturday 21 October 2017

The Maze of Adventure.


The Maze of Adventure.

I was out walking with my best friend yesterday, we walked along the coastal path from Kirkcaldy through Dysart and along towards East Wymes. A lovely part of the world even although Kirkcaldy is famous for in the past the making of Linoleum, with all the smells that surrounded that.

We walked on the beach and through woodland and around the little harbour of Dysart. I gathered some black coloured pebbles from the beach for my next venture, mosaics. I also gathered some windfall apples from a tree that had grown from a discarded apple core, I had apple sultanas and cinnamon crumble for dessert.

On three occasions as we walked I heard mothers call to their children to stop they were getting too far ahead. We live in an age where the sense of adventure seems to be getting stripped away because of the perceived fear of constant danger.

I was fortunately brought up in an age when the sense of adventure was encouraged. At the age of six, I made the journey from home to Dundee where my grandmother lived.This involved me making a train journey and then a bus journey before walking to my grandmothers. 

It was with her that I first really enjoyed an adventure. She allowed me to do things I might never have done at home. I remember the fear of climbing the staircase of my Grans friend late at night in the dark. Whistling to hide my fear as I climbed the five flights.

I overcame so many fears during those holidays. My gran used to laugh. “There is nothing there at night that was not there during the day,” she said. 

We often put off doing things, prevaricate because of inner fears. We will do it when we have done other things, and we have a large list of those. So often we are missing the wonder of moments unknown. We need to grasp the moment as an adventure. I really do think children need to be exposed to a little sense of adventure and fear.

I think had I not been, especially by my grandmother, I would not have been anything very much in my life. 

We have to stop waiting
Until you get a new car or home.

Until your kids leave the house.

Until you go back to school.

Until you finish school.

Until you lose 10 lbs.

Until you gain 10 lbs.

Until you get married.

Until you get a divorce.

Until you have kids.

Until you retire.

Until summer.

Until spring.

Until winter.

Until autumn.

Until you die.


There is no better time than right now to have that adventure. From young to old today is a day to, as Winnie the Pooh would say, "Let's have an adventure."

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment