Saturday 14 October 2017

So you want to be a butterfly?






 In the course of the day, I find some strange things happening to me in spite of all my efforts to stop such events. In fact, I often manage to do at least one really silly thing a day.

So I suppose Friday the 13th was bound to be just such a day. It was miserable and wet and very windy so rather than venture out walking I decided a clean up of my study was the order of the day. I began with my file boxes. So full of all sorts of paper. Most of it could now go into the bucket. I came across a card that said thank you on the front.  I was about to put it in the waste but decided to open it only to find the money somebody had given me for a painting.

I have a habit of putting things away safely and then forgetting where I put them. I also found my air-pods, I had been looking for those for three days.

I remember one day out walking. it was before I had my apple watch and I was wearing this little watch, not a costly thing at all, the strap was made of rubber. It was good when running, and walking light in weight and not accurate enough to have me trying to push to beat a deadline. It did not have any numerals on its face. It had a dot at the place where the 12 should be and that is it.

So most of my times end with an “ish”. This day I went walking and was enjoying stravaging along in no particular hurry. Twice I remember glancing at this watch and thinking, “I can have a bit longer sitting here.”  When I headed back home I was surprised to see the clock on the church tower. It was telling me a time I most certainly had not expected. I looked at my little watch, I had it on upside down.

Twice in the course of yesterday I heard somebody complaining about his or her life. How long and boring the day was , every day the same.

Another person complaining about the job they had, and how they longed for something better. I, on both occasions looked at them and could not believe how young they were. Then I have to remember everybody looks young to me. 

The first time I bit my tongue and said nothing, the second time I said to the person, “If you want to become a butterfly. First you have to stop wanting to be a caterpillar. You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar.  Then I walked on, feeling terrible about having said that. He must have thought I was crazy.

There is a truth in it though. There is no good at all complaining about our circumstances if we are not prepared to make a change. 

We have to want to get rid of the old you and find the new you. Once you become the butterfly you can soar and fly. As long as you want to hold on to the caterpillar you better just get used to all the ground hugging and crawling it entails. 

I have had a few days in what I call my dark place but slowly and surely I am beginning to see the light in the tunnel. I am smiling as I remember that young man I wonder if he gave any thought to what I had said. 

Have a wonderful day, and weekend be a butterfly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment