Friday 27 October 2017

A little treat.


I could not resist doing this little painting yesterday. It was just a branch on a tree with a mriad of colour that will probably not be there next week. I might not be there next week either because I was involved in a little bit of disobedience. 

There is a little woodland about two miles from my home. It is entered by crossing alittle bridge and then following a trackaround the wood itself. The little circuit round the woodland is exactly one mile, so that mile pluse another little loop through another wood and the two miles back make a lovely little six miles. 

The trouble is, the new owner, who does not seem to be aware of Scottish right to roam is trying to stop people from using this little path worn by the feet of years of locals doing this same walk.  She is trying hard to stop any use of the path. 

I have checked with the local authorities and know that she cannot do this.

So I give myself a little treat now and again by trying to keep a well loved path open for all. 

A little bit of mischief is good for the inner being.

This reminded me of a lovely and true tale of the little boy and his visit to the restaurant.

The mother took her six-year-old son to the restaurant. As they prepared to have their meal he asked if he could say grace.
 As they bowed heads he said,  "God is good. God is great.  Thank you for the food, and I would even thank you more if  I am allowed ice cream for dessert. Amen!"
 
Along with the laughter from the other customers nearby a woman was heard to remark,  "That's what's wrong with this country.  Kids today don't even know how to pray.  Asking God for ice cream! Why, I never!"
 
Hearing this, the young lad burst into tears and asked me,  "Did I do it wrong? Is God mad at me?"
 His mother assured him  that he had done a terrific job and  God was certainly not mad at him, an elderly gentleman approached the table.  He winked at the lad and said,
 "I happen to know that God thought that was a great prayer."
 "Really?" the boy asked.
 "Cross my heart," the man replied.
 Then in a theatrical whisper he added (indicating the woman whose remark had started this whole thing), "Too bad she never asks God for ice cream.  A little ice cream is good for the soul sometimes."
 
 
Naturally, at the end of the main course the mother bought the young lad a big ice cream. 
The lad stared at his for a moment
 and then did something his mother will remember for the rest of her life. He picked up his sundae and without a word, walked over and placed it in front of the woman. With a big smile he told her,
 "Here, this is for you. Ice cream is good for the soul sometimes; and my soul is good already."

 I should have finished that walk yesterday with an ice cream both together might just have worked wonders for me.

Go on a little mischief and an ice cream, Who knows?

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment