Wednesday 18 October 2017

A feeling of success.



I was determined yesterday that I would clean my workplace.  Whether I decide my next project will be a mosaic or back to painting I thought it was time for a real clean up. So out I went with a sense of determination a bucket of hot soapy water and cleaning materials. 

I made a ruthless start throwing out all the things I had held onto just in case I might use them. I even found this painting in a beautiful mount along with another. I was so positive I had sold this one. I think what I sold was a print or two from a website, I still have the two originals. What will I do with those? I have put them somewhere safe. 

Eventually, after a good few hours, I felt happy I had made a great job. I told my wife I had. She said she would give me a bit of time to enjoy the obvious feeling of success before going out and showing me all I had missed. 

When she did go out she was surprised I had, in fact, made an excellent job.

Tired as I was I then went out for a walk with my friends.

As I sat down for the evening, I had a warm glow, of having at least something to show for my day. 

I had set myself a task and more than completed it.

How easy it is to look at the prospect of the day and think, it cannot be done. Because we believe that nothing is done.  

Let me explain!

If you put a buzzard in a pen six or eight feet square and entirely open at the top, the bird, in spite of his ability to fly, will be an absolute prisoner. 

The reason is that a buzzard always begins a flight from the ground with a run of ten or twelve feet. Without space to run, as is his habit, he will not even attempt to fly, but will remain a prisoner for life in a small jail with no top.

The ordinary bat that flies around at night, a remarkable nimble creature in the air, cannot take off from a level place. If it is placed on the floor or flat ground, all it can do is shuffle about helplessly and, no doubt, painfully, until it reaches some slight elevation from which it can throw itself into the air. Then, at once, it takes off like a flash.
A Bumblebee if dropped into an open tumbler will be there until it dies, unless it is taken out. It never sees the means of escape at the top, but persists in trying to find some way out through the sides near the bottom. It will seek a way where none exists, until it completely destroys itself.
In many ways, it is simple to be like the buzzard, the bat and the bee. 

We struggle about with all our problems and frustrations, not realizing that the answer is right there if we just raise our sights.

I hope that does not sound like me reverting to my preacher mode, I do not intend to.   

Have a challenging and wonderful day.   Sadly today I will have to find something to do that involves less physical challenge my cold is back with a vengeance.


No comments:

Post a Comment