Wednesday 17 January 2018

To seize the moment.

 


I have watched herons on many occasions, both of the grey and the white variety. I saw this one yesterday morning as I walked. it came down towards me and settled on the spot you can see in the picture. being fascinated by how still they very quickly become I stopped in my tracks and watched.

Within seconds of standing in the water, it took up a still unmoving posture looking almost like an imitation of the real thing. I watched and for the first time in all the years, I have done this same thing I saw all of a sudden a lightning-fast movement as it caught a fish. smoothly and with a kind of grace it turned the fish around and let it slip down its throat. Breakfast! In almost the same movement it returned to its motionless stance.

There is a wonderful lesson in the actions of this beautiful bird. Its serenity was like a vigilance as if it was in a contemplative mood. it was not standing in dumbness or sleep, its stillness had a purpose. It stands in the flowing water and gazes unperturbed and above all aware. At the correct moment, it moves without hesitation or deliberation and seizes the opportunity.

Then it returns to its quiescence without disturbing either itself or its surroundings. had it not found the correct spot and remained patient and ready it would most certainly have failed. This is what I meant the other morning when I spoke of going with the flow and following the Tao. I say this for those who have asked me to explain what I meant.

Actions in life can be reduced to two factors, positioning and timing. if we have not put ourselves in the right place and at the right time we cannot possibly grasp opportunity or take advantage of what life puts our way.

Like the heron, we need to be aware, alert, alive and prepared. Even if we happen to be in the right place and at the right time, we can still miss our chance if we do not notice the moment because we have drifted off and no longer aware of our surroundings.

We can hamper our chances with doubts and second thoughts. With doubts about our ability. Life presents us an opportunity, we must be ready to grasp it, without hesitation or inhibition. Position is useless without awareness, awareness useless without being in the right place.

We can drift or we can go with the flow. They are not the same. Drifting we walk oblivious to our surroundings and we miss so much that nature and life have put our way. Going with the flow we are still alert and ready to meet the moment and grasp the day.

We do not lose or make mistakes. We seize the day. How often I have been asked how I notice the things that I do? It is a simple case of being in the moment, going with the flow. Or if I may use the term. Do and be in Tao.

My apologies if this sounds airy-fairy or religious or philosophical jargon, all I can say is that it has been working for me and it is bringing me much joy, harmony and a sense of peace and life. 

I wish you a marvellous day. If I sound off the wall please stick with me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment