Tuesday 9 January 2018

It Wisnae Me!


I could not help myself laughing, almost out loud when I heard the young man saying in a loud clear voice, "It wisnae me."

I could hear my mothers voice, "Well if it wisnae you, who the hang was it because you are the only one here."

"Don't start or I will it wisnae me yea. Ye'll feel my hand off your jaw in just a minute."

Now for those reading this who are not familiar with Scots slang this roughly translated means.  If it was not you then who on earth was it? There is nobody else present so it must have been you. If you complain much more you will be punished.

Seems that in all those years nothing very much has changed. Mothers still know best and children are still somewhat reluctant to admit guilt.

It was not only children though that tried to absolve themselves by blaming others. As a prison Chaplain of a high-security prison, I was always surprised to discover how many prisoners were not guilty of the crimes they were doing a sentence for.  Amazingly most of them had been fitted up by the police or the courts.

It was similar to the coach of the football team. He was so fired up after watching his centre-forward missing what he considered three open goals.  He took the player off the field of play and took the position himself. After missing two very clear chances to score he walked over to the centre he had replaced. "You have so messed up this game and position that even I cannot put it right."

It is always the fault of another. 

All blame is a waste of time. 

No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame another, it will not change you. The only thing blame does is to keep the focus off you when you are looking for external reasons to explain your unhappiness or frustration. 

You may succeed in making another feel guilty of something by blaming the person, but you won't succeed in changing whatever it is about you that is making you unhappy. 

I agree it is not easy to admit failure, nobody likes the feeling it creates. But it is a fact that once blame has been properly accepted by the one at fault the quicker and simpler it is to put right.

Those who are out to find fault seldom if ever find anything else. 

Have a marvellous day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment