Tuesday 23 January 2018

In Him I Put My Trust.


Three Loyal Friends Look East.

I heard a comment that made me wonder.Two young lads were talking about their relationships with their girlfriends. One of the lads was heading off for four days with his work, he would be living in a hotel for the three nights. His friend immediately said to him, " Four nights away I am sure there will be some nice girls there."  The lad looked at his friend and in a very serious voice replied, "Oh I cannot do that."

"Why not said his friend?"  I thought I was about to hear some really nice words about how he would never cheat on his girlfriend. What he did say surprised me. "It is only forty miles away. I never cheat within a fifty-mile radius." So the bottom line was that his loyalty could be measured at fifty miles. 

I remembered this conversation when walking yesterday and saw a single swan flying over my head making a beautiful beating sound with those large powerful wings. Now, you might ask what was so special about that and the story.  

Believe it or not, you do not see swans flying as singles very often. Swans pair for life and from the moment of pairing only ever part when one or other of the pair dies. The only other time you will see them flying separately is while one of them sits on the nest and the other seeks out food. Even then they do not travel far from each others company. So the loyalty of a swan cannot be measured in anything other than constant and true. Till death do they part, seems to mean something special to them.

I have spoken about geese on this blog before, but having seen a field of over a hundred yesterday I was reminded that they too are loyal to the group. If while in flight one falls behind another will peel off to give it assistance and stay with it. Loyalty to each other and the group cannot be measured in time or miles. 

I have never really been a true football, fan but I do from time to time watch one particular team, if they are being televised. I would never consider that being a loyal supporter. I neither help with the upkeep of the team or the ground I merely watch at my convenience. 

Football, however, cannot be said to be high on loyalty. It almost seems if a manager loses three consecutive games his coat is on a shaky nail, even if he won trophies in the previous season.

I do though remember the true story told me by my headteacher. He spoke about a particular player who had played for only one team all of his playing life. He had scored a record number of goals and been a great team captain. Like all players, he began to show his age and was finding top-class football difficult, so he left the team, with great regret. He moved to a team playing in a lower division and for a time scored many goals and played well for this team. 

It seemed the supporters had taken him to their hearts.

Then one day he had a disastrous game being responsible for the loss of an important match. As he left the field of play he was booed by the supporters, some even shook their fists.  Some terrible things were being shouted at this once great player.

Then something remarkable happened. A little lad jumped over the barrier, tears streaming down his face. He ran out to the great player and unashamedly threw his arms around the players' legs. The player reached down lifted the lad up spoke to him and put him down again. He took off his jersey and gave it to the boy and they walked off hand in hand.

His loyalty could not be measured in distance time or even pride. He saw this athlete for what he had been and in his eyes still was, a good and loyal servant to his game and supporters. 

Loyalty has no age barriers, distance or space or time.  It is a two-way street. There is nothing more wonderful than a loyal and true friend if you are blessed to have one rejoice.

I give thanks for the love and loyalty I am aware of in so many little ways. 

Have a wonderful day, may you be blessed by knowing you can rely on others, and they, in turn, can rely on you.



No comments:

Post a Comment