Wednesday 10 January 2018

The Voice of an Angel!

Oh to walk in the footsteps of a wise man.


I saw a message on a good friends page. It was recommending singing as a good thing to do so at least once a day for many reasons, one being that doing so might extend your life. 

I am sure there is such a lot of truth in this. One of the greatest misses of my life is the ability to sing, how I loved doing so during my earlier days. The days before I overused my vocal chords to such an extent that they, in protest possibly, just stopped working. Two or three operations and months of silence and singing is now just a dream from the past. But of course it could be worse, at least I can still talk. I might not be able to do it with all the same inflexions and feeling as I used but I can still say hello. 

This has its downside. I find it very difficult to communicate in large groups and I am absolutely hopeless in noisy environments. I sometimes without ever meaning to, and certainly not feeling, sound aggressive. I find this so very frustrating. 

One of the upsides of this disability is that I am much more aware of the power of speech and how easily words can cause hurt or be misconstrued. 

So I have learned many lessons.

Talk is cheap because the supply always exceeds the demand. One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say.

Another thing I learned about speech and vocal chords is this.A woman's vocal chords are shorter than a mans. This means that a woman can speak with much less effort than a man. It also means that the female voice is higher pitched than the male.

A woman can also use her voice using less air than the male so she can speak while expending much less energy than a man. Of course, this means they can speak longer. Bottom line is men should realise that in a vocal argument they have none or very little chance of ever winning. 

I have had many years to think about speech its qualities and the art of communication it has played such an important part in my life and the road I have travelled. 

I will, therefore, try my very best not to bore you, but would love to share some of the what I would consider more valuable little gems I have learned. 

A little one worthy of some thought. If someone paid you ten pence for every kind word you said about people and collected five pence for every unkind word, would you be rich or poor? 

I have never been hurt by anything I did not say. If you do not say anything you will never be persuaded to repeat it. 

Just one or two little ones that I often wish I remembered more often and thought about before I said anything.

It would be better to leave people wondering why you didn't talk than why you did.

When all is said and done, there's a lot more said than done.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Have a wonderful day and as I am speaking about words speech and vocal chords can I thank all those who over the year that has just gone took the time to say encouraging words to me, you know who you are.

Reverting to a previous role I had in life let me leave with a little benediction.

Blessed are they who have nothing to say, and who cannot be persuaded to say it.




No comments:

Post a Comment