Tuesday 22 August 2017

Troubled Thoughts.



One of the only blessing of my struggle with this infected elbow, yes there is always a silver lining to every situation, is that the medication has meant deep sleeps during the night.

For most of my life if not all of it sleep has never come easy. My mind is greedy to be active and it refuses to stop even when I feel tired. I have written sermons in the middle of the night and got out of bed to make notes just in case they were not with me in the morning. 

The same with writing examination papers and worksheets and teaching plans. UP I would get to write down notes of what I was hearing. 

Some of my best painting have come to me in the wee small hours. I am sure I am not alone in this. My daughter gave me a little speaker that fits inside my pillow so that I can listen to the world broadcast during the night. 

I really cannot remember sleeping as I have these past few weeks. But this was not the case for the man in the tale I wish to share with you. 

Ramchand and Premchand were neighbours. Ramchand was a poor farmer. Premchand was a landlord.
Ramchand used to be very relaxed and happy. He never bothered to close the doors and windows of his house at night. He had deep sound sleeps. Although he had no money he was peaceful, and his dealing with others left him relaxed and clear of worry.
Premchand used to be very tense always. He was very keen to close the doors and windows of his house at night. He could not sleep well. He was always bothered that someone might break open his safe and steal away his money. He envied the peaceful Ramchand.
One day, Premchand visited Ramchand and gave him a boxful of cash saying, “Look my dear friend. I am blessed with plenty of wealth. I find you in poverty. So, take this cash and live in prosperity.”
Ramchand was overwhelmingly happy. He was joyful throughout during that day. 

When night came, Ramchand went to bed as usual. But, this night, he could not sleep. He went and closed the doors and windows. He still could not sleep. He began to keep on looking at the box of cash. The whole night he was disturbed.
As soon as day broke, Ramchand took the box of cash to Premchand. He gave  the box to Premchand saying, “Dear Friend, I am poor. But, your money took away peace from me. Please bear with me and take back your money.”

There are more important things in life than material wealth. 












No comments:

Post a Comment