Tuesday 1 August 2017

I remember !!



Before I get down to telling any tales let me share a couple of little shorts the come from everyday experiences of just being quiet and listening. 

Yesterday I got out of bed and was feeling terrible, and in some considerable pain. I decided I was bad enough to make an appointment to see the doctor. My main concern was what looked like a bite on my elbow that was getting more and more inflamed and swollen rather than subsiding. 

Yes it is inflamed and yes it is infected. But not a bite a repetitive strain injury cased by too much time sitting painting on my iPad. Old age is determined to get to me. 

As I sat in the waiting room, being inflicted lithesome inane radio station going on and on with inane chatter, another patient sitting behind me added to it, telling everybody near him the exact same tale. I heard it at least five times. He then went on to tell a very patient female that he was suffering from loneliness. MY first thought was to turn round and say to him, "I am not at all surprised. Change the gramophone record."

I didn't I quietly forgave myself such bad thoughts.

But I id remember the Senility Prayer, yes that is correct not the other one The Serenity Prayer.

This one goes:  Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference!

The other little gem I collected was when I was walking round the golf course. I saw some seniors I recognised and passed the time of day by asking how the round was going. I was told, "We only play for our own amazement." Now there is a lovely attitude, much less possibility of disappointment.

Later in the day my good friend came round. I could not resist asking him about his recent appointment with the doctor dealing with his memory.

I then remember this gem I overheard.

Two elderly couples were enjoying friendly conversation when one of the men asked the other, "Fred, how was the memory clinic you went to last month?" 

"Outstanding," Fred replied. "They taught us all the latest psychological techniques: visualisation, association. It was great." 

"Wow! What was the name of the clinic?" 

Fred went blank. He thought and thought, but couldn't remember. Then a smile broke across his face and he asked, "What do you call that flower with the long stem and thorns?" 

"You mean a rose?" 

"Yes, that's it!" He turned to his wife, "Rose, what was the name of that memory clinic?"

Have a marvellous day.  No painting on the iPad today for me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment