Wednesday 16 August 2017

Being Rich.


I was thinking a little more about my tale from yesterday, and was reminded of the tale of the old man who lost his axe. 

He was convinced the the young lad that lived in the same street as he had stolen the axe. Every time he saw the young lad pass he was more and more convinced that he had a suspicious look about him. That little smile he gave to the old man said it all, "I have the axe you lost."

This went on for some time until one day the old man was searching in his shed for a saw. He could not remember where he had put it.  In the midst of his search he found, yes you have got it, the lost axe. 

The next time the young man passed and smiled the old man saw that really he was a very gentle and kind young lad. 

A little question. Have you ever done the same? Another little question. Have you ever dreamt of being rich?

Of course we have, do we not all do that?

There was a very rich miser who had buried his wealth in his back garden. Every day he went to the spot and dug it up and counted it piece by piece to make sure it was all there.

He made so many trips to dig it up that a passing thief began to realise what was happening. So one night the thief crept into the garden and dug up the treasure and made off with it. 

When the miser went to dig up his wealth he was overcome with grief and despair. He groaned and tore at his hair. His neighbour heard the commotion and asked what had happened. 

"My gold! All my Gold!" cried the miser, "Someone has stolen my gold."

"You mean you had gold in that hole in your garden? Why did you put it there? Why did you not keep it safe in the house where you could easily get it when you need to buy things?"

"Buy things! " screamed the miser. "Why would I ever use it to buy things? I never touched the gold I could never think of spending any of it."

The neighbour looked at the miser and bent down and gathered a load of pebbles and threw them into the hole. "If that is the case," he said, "cover up these stones and count them them. They are worth just as much as you have lost."

Yesterday I managed a little beginning on a little canvas before my elbow began to ache again, but in that time I smelled the treasure and the joy. It is really all about what you value. 

Have a marvellous day.


  


No comments:

Post a Comment