Thursday 17 August 2017

Don't get greedy.


I have been doing a little painting thesis last few days but taking it slowly and easily so here today is another of my abstracts from the past. This one one is in the pile that will eventually be painted over. I called it the journey of life.

A bit of a shambles of a painting to be honest but for many life can so easily be a bit of a shambles. Yesterday I had a tee time booked to play a little golf. I drove all the way to Aberdour to discover I had left the wheels of my trolly back at home. I cancelled my time and drove home collected my wheels and drove back in time to grasp another free slot of somebody who had cancelled because it was raining. 

Such is the ways of life.

I heard an interesting comment made more than once yesterday by a group of golfers playing not far from me. "Do not get greedy play safe." 

Now here is a little ditty that might be appropriate in so many places. If found myself giving thought to just what is greed. If we do not desire something, can we ever succeed? Is this the same as greed?

What do the famous teachers of old say about greed?

A student asked his teacher this very question, "What is Greed?" 

The teacher told the student to walk through the field of corn and select the best grain of corn he could find. "But there is one rule, you cannot turn back for what you have passed. You must pick only as you move forward."

The student did as told. He walked through the field and as he did so he saw a beautiful grain of wheat. He instantly liked this and fell in love with it. He did not pick it because he thought there might be another bigger and better one yet before him. He looked and looked as he travelled through the field. he saw many good grains but none as good as the one he had already passed. 

Eventually he arrived at the far side of the field empty handed. He returned to the teacher and told him his tale of searching for better. 

The teacher looked at him, "You did find one seed that you thought was wonderful but kept looking for bigger and better.  But you discovered that there was no bigger or better. That my student is what we call greed."

I was walking up the ninth fairway and watched the group behind me play off the sixth tee. Don't get greedy I could almost hear the older one say. Play safe. As I moved towards my ball I saw his drop in the centre of the green and roll towards the hole where it disappeared from sight. A hole in one. 

It was not for me, maybe I was not playing safe maybe I was being greedy and trying too hard. I certainly have done that in the past and lost out more than once. 

Have a trouble free day and play safe. 





No comments:

Post a Comment