Saturday 6 August 2016

Writing in Sand.


Yesterday I found a little stone that sometime ago I had painted a little picture of a pansy on. I can remember the day I painted it but had forgotten where I had put it and here it was still bringing a little joy to my life. 

Over the years I have painted on many stones usually little seascapes. I would find a nice flat stone that I knew would look good once sprayed with varnish. I would sit and just enjoy the sound of the waves and paint the scene before me. Once completed I would let it dry in the sun and give it a spray with varnish. Once this was dried i would take the stone back to the beach and lay it where it was visible but above the tideline.

Somedays I would just sit and relax and watch until somebody came along and found it. It was such a joy to see the reactions of those who picked them up. Almost without fail they would take it away with them. It cost me very little to produce but I hope some of them brought a bit of pleasure and who knows maybe some still are. 

There is the story of two friends.

These two good friends had a quarrel one day, and one of them slapped another. The one who was slapped felt pain, but said nothing and wrote on the sand: “Today my best friend slapped me.”
They continued walking and found an oasis. They decided to swim, the water was cool and refreshing, but the one who was slapped, started to sink.  His friend, the one who had slapped him earlier managed to get to him and to pull him out of the water to safety and saved him.
When he regained consciousness, he wrote on a stone: “Today my best friend saved my life.”
The friend, who had slapped and saved his friend’s life, asked him,  "When I hurt you, you wrote on the sand and now you are writing on the stone. Why?"
The friend who had been saved replied, "When someone hurts us, we should write it on the sand, so that the wind, and rain could erase it. But when someone does something good for us, we must engrave it on the stone, so that the wind and rain  cannot erase it, and it becomes a constant memory to us.
We can fill our lives with little peoples of good memories.
Have a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment