Saturday 20 August 2016

It is all in the face.


A Woodland Seat. (A Resting Place.)


I go walking most days but with the beautiful weather we have been having I have managed to walk sometimes twice in one day. Other days i have walked and cycled. This week I have been doing an early walk of only four miles but I have been doing it at pace, breaking sweat. It is a tough four miles most of the first two are up a very steep boulder path  under a waterfall and then on and up. At almost exactly halfway it comes down steeply. The little picture above is one of the only spots on the whole route where you could stop and sit. 

One other afternoon I walked in the sun with my friend. My wife took a picture of the two of us as we walked. There we were two old guys who for the last forty-three years have walked, climbed mountains and ran together, now still walking but at a much slower pace.  It was a good picture and it certainly caught us as we are. Oh dear, growing old, and it showing.

As I looked at it I was reminded of the tale of the grandmother and the little girl.

A grandmother was out walking with her granddaughter whose face was sprinkled with bright coloured freckles. As they walked through the park they came to a stall where some ladies were offering to paint the faces of the children in the park. The children were patiently waiting their turns to become tigers and lions. 

One of the children waiting, a boy, saw the granddaughter, and told her, "You have far too many freckles  there is nowhere left to paint."

Embarrassed by his remarks the little girl dropped her head. Her grandmother knelt down next to her , "I love your freckles," she told her.

"Not me," the girl replied.

"Well, when I was a little girl I always wanted freckles," she said, tracing her finger across the little girls cheek. "Freckles are beautiful! Such a shame that little boy does not know that."

The little girl looked up at her grandmother, "Really?"

"Of course, " said the grandmother. "Why just name me one thing that is prettier than freckles." 

The little girl looked into the old woman's face, "Wrinkles," she said.

Where is that little girl when you need her?

Such a shame I really don't have any wrinkles. My face is full of laughter lines that hide the wrinkles. 

I hope you have a good day keep laughing and keep the wrinkles at bay.





  



No comments:

Post a Comment