Monday 8 August 2016

Good News bad News.


It is Monday morning for many the day they have to return to work after I hope a good enjoyable weekend. Over the years the weekend for me has changed. Now it is just like any other days of the week. 

When I was a minister Saturdays would be the day when most weddings would happen so that could be a very busy day and of course Sunday would be the day I preached five times sometimes six times. The prison the hospital and two morning services one in each of my churches and then the evening services  so I looked forward to Monday as a day to relax.

It was never really easy to relax as a minister because there was always something that just had to be done or that repair in the church that had to be done soon. 

Looking back it was a very stressful job. You would have thought with all those members it would not be so. Surrounded by helpers and friends, and there were indeed many such people. They of course had there lives to get on with and for many the weekend was a time to relax. 

My friend frequently makes comment about how it is good to no longer have the worry of being a minister. Constantly fretting over the need to get things done and get people inspired to do them. 

He tells of the time he was so frustrated that he began his sermon one day by telling them about his daily newspaper. He told them how he had counted up what it cost him each week to purchase a daily newspaper. The he said to them, "I pay that for the bad news and I struggle to get you to give me half of that for the bad news."

This reminded me of the minister who was feeling very similar.

The minister said  to his congregation: "We have good news and bad news.
The bad news is that the roof needs repairing.
The good news is that we have the money to pay for it."
(appreciative murmurs all round) 
The extra bad news is that it's still in your pockets!"
Ah well another day what will I do with it? Use it in a productive way or commit a crime and waste it and let it sift through my fingers.? 
I hope you have a good day wether you are at work or like me at play. 


No comments:

Post a Comment